Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Charleston, SC

     We've traveled a little over 600 miles so far and are probably less than half way to Virginia. It takes a long time traveling along at around 7 knots. It's only around 800 miles by road but when you are traveling east and west on the water as much as you are north it adds a lot of miles to the trip. Right now we are sitting in a marina on St Johns Island just a few miles south of Charleston, SC waiting for our mail, and some parts for my anchor windless. I managed to strip out the threads on the slider gear so I had to order some parts to fix it with. I'm thinking now that I should have put a little heaver duty windless on the boat. The one I have is working ok, but I sure don't think I should be having problems with it after using it only a half a dozen or so times. We need to be able to spend more time on the hook because these marinas are just too expensive. My parts should be here tomorrow and hopefully we can be underway again as soon as I get them installed. I don't like sitting in a marina but I guess you have to once in awhile. We need to take on water, fuel, and get our holding tanks pumped out as well as pick up a few things at the grocery store so you  need to tie up and sit long enough to accomplish all that kind of stuff. This marina has a courtesy car that they let us use so we didn't have to call a cab or ride the bus which is a real plus, and the slip fees are reasonable so it's a good place to hold up for a couple days. This is St. Johns Yacht Harbor and I would highly recommend it. It's very clean, well maintained and the staff is very courteous and helpful. Linda and I will check in again the next time we have an internet connection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment