Wednesday, July 31, 2013

More Mast Hardware


     I got my hinged mast step back from the welding shop and it looks like it is going to work great. I spent a few hours polishing it up a little although it didn't want to shine up as nice as the swivel did because the angle is extruded and that leaves a lot of imperfections in the surface which makes polishing a real challenge. I decided to hinge the step so I could easily lower the mast if I ran into a vertical clearance problem. Below are a couple different views of the step. The top picture shows the step in the closed position which is the position where the mast is in the upright position. You can see the hinge in the forefront of the picture. The bolt in the top part of the picture is a locking bolt that will lock the mast in the up position along with the forestays.
 
     The bottom view shows the step in the open position which is where the mast would be in the lowered position. The smaller inner box is screwed to the bottom of the mast while the outer angles are screwed to the deck.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Tom,

    I've been reviewing your website and spent nearly 2 hours going through your photos and descriptions. First I have to give you a standing ovation for your tenacity and craftsmenship. What an amazing job!
    Second, I live on the coast east of Orlando, I'd love to be able to come over and see the Molly B. It was really something to see the creativity and care you have taken to make sure everything is right.

    Can't wait to see when you post the splash!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin,
    I replied to the notification email I got from your post. Let me know if you get it, and give me a call when you would like to visit the Molly B.

    ReplyDelete