Thursday, July 10, 2014

We're Underway!

     We got underway the morning of the 8th of July. Sure was a good feeling to be moving after sitting for almost a month in Vero. The first day we made 75 miles but that was a 10 hour day. Much too long a day for this old skipper. We spent the night in a marina at Titusville, FL. The second day we decided we would reduce the millage a bit and just try to make around 50 miles. That was a good day, and we anchored at Daytona Beach, FL for the night. Today we started out sort of on the wrong foot. When trying to raise the anchor I got a backlash in my anchor windless and had to raise the anchor by hand. Then we got about a mile and a half up the ICW and noticed my engines weren't charging my house bank and they were down to 11 volts and dropping. We decided to turn around and go back to Daytona and see if we could find an electrician to find the problem. We docked at the Halifax marina and managed to get ahold of an electrician and he came right over and checked things out. It turned out that the circuit breakers on the battery isolators were going out and that caused the engine driven alternators to not charge the house batteries. He replaced the breakers and we ran the engines up and everything checked out ok. I sure hope that was the problem so we won't have to worry about that situation again. We will be leaving here in the morning and heading north again. So far, life on the water has been good. Linda even likes it! We should make Virginia in about 10 days or so at the rate we are traveling. We're not in a big hurry, so we are only running around 7 knots to try to conserve on the fuel.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your posts. I have been following your work for a long time, and now your cruise. Do you have a destination? Also, I think your blog is very well done. I am enjoying the pictures tab between posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly B skipper. I am thoroughly impressed. I have been following your entire build almost since day one. I remember when the hurricane hit, and admired your engine rebuild, the fact you actually built your fuel tanks. What an incredible undertaking! There were times I thought to myself "will he ever finish...?". She looks beautiful! My wife and are also boaters and would love the opportunity if you are ever in St Augustine to meet you and see the Molly B in person. Best regards and may God bless you!
    Paul C

    ReplyDelete